04 May TRENDS OF THE FUTURE
“We look at the present through a rearview mirror. We march backwards into the future.”
Through technological advancements, demographic change, internet convergence, and the growing power of social networking and social collaboration, the next 20 years will drive us to apply the opportunities to lead a more meaningful life.
Innovating to Zero is a radical future concept where the focus and development will shift toward products and technologies with a vision and target of “Innovate to Zero”; bringing social innovation to the forefront. This “Zero Concept” world will have cars with zero emissions, zero accidents and zero fatalities.
The concept of an education degree comes to an end; “just-in-time knowledge factories” dominate the educational landscape. University degrees disappear: You simply beam your personal-knowledge-to interested skills partners. The rule of the economy becomes just-in-time knowledge: your ability to get the right knowledge, at the right time, for the right purpose, that accelerates you into opportunity.
The most successful, disruptive business organizations will consist of a small nucleus of people, focused on goals, ideas, innovation and strategy. Agility and scalability is key! Companies will need to work with consumers in a more integrated and collaborative approach for mutual benefit. As companies reorganise for the future, they need to stay true to their values.
Poll-democracy takes flight. The mobile generation, weaned on the technology of text messaging and social networks, finally convinces a few brave countries to consider the idea of real time citizen-voting.
These new democratic pioneers will discover that this new form of massively participatory democracy changes everything — in terms not only of the ideas that are proposed to solve some of the biggest challenges faced by the country, but also accelerating the speed by which solutions are accepted and implemented.
The Global Brain/ The internet has changed our lives! We are online at all times of the day, through our mobiles, PCs and tablets, and now game consoles, household appliances and vehicles are also entering the world of hyper connectivity. Over the next 25 years, as technology evolves, the internet will extend to many different physical objects. It is estimated that in 2020, about 50 billion objects will be connected to the internet (Source: Cisco). By 2038, smart watches, smart glasses, activity trackers and a host of other types of personal connectivity will be commonplace. We believe that by then, we will also see internet-connected chips that can be implanted under the skin, so that even our bodies can be online.
Global Citizens/ With a growing global mobile workforce – people will migrate for career and life experiences to discover new cultures. The demand for affinity networks and familiar touch points that let us learn and share across conventional borders will grow. To deliver real value and engage with the true needs of the Global Citizen and tomorrow’s talent, agility, convergence and seamless services must be incorporated into each and every offering.
Betterness/ Mindful consuming informs 21st-century business models. Cultural storytelling, authenticity and craftsmanship are in demand as we return to local sourcing and manufacturing. Businesses and individuals will join forces to practice ‘Betterness’, such as radical openess and social responsibility, and make a positive impact for the greater good of all.
A technological revolution based on new industrial production, bio-scientific, communication and digital processes will transform societies. A new global new global ‘middle class’ in the emerging countries will expand rapidly, mainly in cities
Global migration will increase, Inequalities within countries will widen worldwide; the question remains: Growing inequalities in access to resources (education, health services) may trigger serious social discontent or not?
The raise of the emerging economies will coincide with a raising urban middle class that will set its own set of consumer demands, requesting a possible further “glocalization” of services. The next decades will be shaped by the process of merging technologies through interdisciplinary developments across scientific fields. Platforms will be the main field to drive industrial development and business intelligence.
- Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) is anticipated to surpass human intelligence around 2030.
- Medical innovations, will significantly improve quality of life (especially for the elderly), and prolong life expectancy.
- Energy sector; it is expected to have renewables vastly replacing the use of fossil fuels, mainly due to innovations in solar energy, geothermal energy, energy efficiency & storage, and possibly in nuclear fusion.
- Synthetic biology will produce bio-fuels, personalized medicine,…
- The speed of technological change is accelerating
- Autonomous decision-making processes will rapidly rise;
- Europe and USA will remain world leaders in science and knowledge-creation
- The climate change will become an irreversible process: Nature’s capacity to absorb human activity is diminishing, and global warming is increasingly causing extreme weather events around the world, leading to death, displacement and serious economic damage
- Large-scale exploitation of natural resources will remain concentrated in a small number of dominant countries
- Food and water supply will be about managing scarcity
- Large-scale migrations triggered by floods, droughts and food shortages may affect Europe
- Arctic icecaps melting will have incalculable consequences for biological balance
- We will witness more and more the Emerging Disruptive Business Models
- The innovation paradigm will be transformed shifting from product innovation to service innovation
- Citizens in 2030 will be able to reshape economic developments with the rise of the sharing economy.
All these trends have serious impacts on businesses, markets, societies, and imply the need of specific strategies to address the risks and opportunities of the future.
These new Trends are transformative global forces that will define our future world and its increasing pace of change with their far-reaching impact on business, economy, society, cultures, and personal lives. Be ready! firstname.lastname@example.org